THURLTON PARISH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 9 DECEMBER 2019
PRESENT: J.O’Leary, M.Ball, A.Jones, J.Seaward, P.Jackson,
1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: S.Hannant, J.Lucy, G.Crossland
2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST: All present regarding Community Shop
3. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING: The minutes of the meeting of 11 November were agreed. Proposed Cllr. Jones and seconded by Cllr Seward. The following were action points still outstanding:-
10 bags of topsoil to be ordered – Parish Clerk
“No Dogs” signs for the toddler area to be ordered – Parish Clerk
Changes required to the Village Hall exterior lights – Parish Clerk to liaise with VH Committee.
4. COUNTY/DISTRICT COUNCILLORS, COMMUNITY POLICING, LOCAL ORGANISATIONS, CLUBS AND INDIVIDUALS WITH SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES – REPORTS/INFORMATION
It was agreed that the police report did not provide meaningful information for the parish of Thurlton and no councillor had responsibility for police liaison. Parish Clerk to see if the information from the police could be made more Thurlton specific.
Cllr O’Leary reported that the Good Neighbour Scheme continued to flourish.
5. MANAGEMENT AND MAINTENANCE OF PC ASSETS
It was agreed that the only significant Parish Council assets consisted of the playing field equipment and the Clerk’s laptop. Clarification was required on the extent to which all assets were covered by the council’s insurance. Parish Clerk to get clarification from our brokers on the extent of coverage for assets and public liability.
6. HIGHWAYS/TRAFFIC CALMING/FOOTPATH MATTERS
Cllr. Jones reported that following the work of the Highways Department there had been a significant improvement to the road conditions at Hall Farm Corner. Highways were looking to liaise with the landowner to secure a long term solution to the flooding problem.
Cllr. Jones agreed to contact South Norfolk Council to see what assistance they could provide regarding footpath clearance.
There were no planning matters requiring discussion or approval.
£80.63 D. Robertshaw July-Oct playing field inspections
£40.50 G. Crossland Clerk training expenses
£50.00 I. Riches Mole trapping on playing field
£287.25 G. Crossland Clerk’s salary for October
Proposed by Cllr. Jackson and seconded by Cllr. Seward – all payments approved.
Cheque book not available and so cheques to be signed outside of meeting – action Parish Clerk.
Cllr. O’Leary reported the ongoing difficulties encountered in trying to get his name added to the list of cheque signers and access to on-line banking. Given that these problems have been ongoing for six months it was unanimously agreed that we should change banks. HSBC was considered to be a viable option. It was agreed that Cllrs. O’Leary, Jones, Seward and Jackson should be authorised as cheque signers with on line access for the new account. Parish Clerk to review banking options and report back.
Cllr. Ball reported on the council’s financial position as at the end of November. Income was in line with the budget but expenditure would exceed the budget due to copier cancellation costs, the purchase of a PC for the clerk and the payment of a market salary to the clerk. The council’s reserves would cover the level of expenditure for this year. All future financial reports would be provided by the Parish Clerk.
Cllr. Ball provided clarification on all CIL monies available to the council. A suggestion had been received from a parishioner regarding using CIL money to renovate the village hall floor. It was agreed that any proposal should come from the Village Hall Committee and should be part of its overall rebuilding plan for the Hall. Parish Clerk to respond.
A copy of the 2018/2019 Parish Council accounts could still not be traced. Cllr. Ball to contact South Norfolk Council.
The copy date for the next newsletter was January 8. Cllr. Ball suggested for inclusion information on Hall Farm Corner update, Councillor vacancies, the use of the village hall as a polling station on December 12, CIL, dog poo?
Any other suggestions to Cllr. Ball
10. GENERAL DISCUSSION
Councillor vacancies to be advertised at the village shop. Parish Clerk to action.
Cllr. O’Leary to remove post in Mill Lane to enable vehicle access to polling station for December 12 and then to replace on December 13.
Cllr. Jackson to publicise village hall disabled access on Facebook “What’s On Around Thurlton”.
Date of next meeting – Monday 13 January 2020 @ 7.30pm